Wisconsin Rep. Mary Williams will attend a discussion Jan. 6, 2010, among astronauts orbiting 220 miles above Earth and students from two Wisconsin schools. International Space StationCommander Jeff Williams and Flight Engineers T.J. Creamer and Soichi Noguchi will speak with students from Winter School in Winter, Wis., and Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe School in Hayward, Wis.
Williams, Creamer and Noguchi are members of the station’s Expedition 22 crew. Williams is a 1976 graduate of Winter High School and considers Winter his hometown.
The live call from orbit will take place between 8:40 a.m. and 9 a.m. CST during an event at Winter High School from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The event will include videos of the astronauts’ launches to the orbiting outpost aboard Soyuz rockets. Additionally, Mike Simonson of Wisconsin Public Radio will display objects brought back from Williams’ launch in Kazakhstan.
Students have been preparing for the downlink by studying science experiments, designing presentations and creating space and mission-themed art projects. Students also have made a welcome center in the main entrance of the school that contains a moonscape, 3-D star and planet mobiles, a spaceship and an astronaut.
The downlink is one in a series with educational organizations in the U.S. and abroad to improve teaching and learning in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. It is an integral component of Teaching From Space, a NASA Education
office. Teaching From Space promotes learning opportunities and builds partnerships with the education community using the unique environment of human spaceflight.
NASA Television will air video of Williams, Creamer and Noguchi during the downlink. For NASA TV downlink, schedule and streaming video information, visit:
- Music around the world’ has been introduced to Fairmont students
- Avalon travels to Nicaragua
- Conference and One-On-One Media Interviews to be held by NASA on Jan. 21
- Toronto’s Marian Cheney awarded music teacher of the year
- Maroon 5 in red state
- Lady Gaga Wants To Be A Design Teacher
- The BBC’s alternative music radio station 6 doubles its weekly listening audience
- Lady Gaga rules MTV Video Music Awards 2010
- PureNRG to release video “Here We Go Again” on Yahoo! Kids
- Hindustani classical Tabla Music